Saturday, October 2, 2010

Preview: NU @ Minnesota

The Good News: Statistically-speaking, Minnesota should be about as easy a team as Northwestern will face.
The Bad News: See above
The fact is, all rationality and logic need to be thrown out the window when discussing the Cardiac 'Cats. It is precisely this type of "gimme" game that worries me the most. Nonetheless, for the sake of this preview, we'll pretend the 'Cats live in the rational world we are familiar with, rather than the surreal twilight zone they actually inhabit.
The biggest statistic pointing to a 'Cats victory is Minnesota's yrds/carry against average. Minnesota is allowing 6.4 yards per rush, twice what our team has picked up per carry. This weak rush defense is especially a bonus for Northwestern when you consider that for the first time, they are starting a rusher who instills confidence. Mike Trumpy will get the starting role with Jacob Schmidt, and I expect Trumpy to have a big game, perhaps even eclipsing the 100 yard mark. However, if Trumpy doesn't succeed, I don't know what other options we have. Fitz, I'm ready and willing to try out. Minnesota's pass efficiency defense is also quite poor, and, of course, NU's has been in the top three in the nation all year. Expect lots of yards for Northwestern.
Minnesota's offense, on the other hand, has been pretty good. Carpenter and Arnold (who are both off the injury list this week) need to play and play well to shut down the Minnesota passing attack.
My prediction: I'll be optimistic. Northwestern by 17. Over the last two games, my predictions have been off by an average of only .5 points per game. We'll hope that trend continues.

One last note: My blog now has over 1000 pageviews! I never expected nearly that many looks at this site, but it's pretty cool. Thank you to all my readers!

2 comments: