Friday, November 12, 2010

Iowa @ NU Preview

Let me start by saying that I don't really hate Iowa the way I know many 'Cats fans do. I'm from Iowa City, and have a number of friends attending the U of I (take note, people from Illinois, U of I=Iowa). So, all else being equal, I don't tend to root against Iowa unless I'm feeling especially sadistic. That being said, there is little I enjoy more than beating the Hawkeyes, and I know many of our players feel the same. Hawks fans and bloggers tend to undervalue NU and their fans, which creates an extraordinarily frustrating situation. Fitz too has a well-known distaste for Iowa dating back to his playing days, and you know he has instilled this feeling in his players. It is largely for these reasons that NU has completely owned UI in recent years (or maybe it's because we intentionally injure their players /sarcasm), and it is for these reason that I think NU will win tomorrow. Now, I'm a realist. I know there are few, if any, statistical advantages the Wildcats have over the Hawkeyes, but sometimes the stats don't tell the whole story, especially with these two teams.
We all know by now that the 'Cats have been dreadful at finishing so far this year, but if their embarrassment last week isn't enough to get them inspired, playing their biggest rival in front of a full house better be. I have trouble expressing just how important this game is. I have been saying all year that anything less than 8-4 will be a disappointment for this team. A victory hear will put them in outstanding placement to reach that record. If they lose, I'm not sure they will win again, and Detroit may be waiting. Let me stress this again: If the 'Cats aren't fired up by this situation, I don't know what could possibly get them going.
Of course, Iowa is a big obstacle. They are a very good team (at least at times) with an extraordinary defense, and I think they finally realize Northwestern is a legitimate threat. They will not be looking past this game. Ultimately, this will be a hard-fought, emotional game, but I think it will go NU's way.
My Prediction: NU 38-UI 31

2 comments:

  1. You do realize that Iowa fans will probably account for a significant percentage of your "full house" right? I think Iowa wins, but I'm still nervous. MSU burned us over and over again on a quick slant route that was very NWesque. Also our cornerbacks are weak (plus there's the fact that you love injuring our best offensive player). Offensively we shouldn't have trouble. I'm almost certain Adam Robinson is back this week.

    ReplyDelete